Friday, February 1, 2013

Gluten Free Cheese Crackers (Like Cheez-its)

For more recipes and tidbits please join me on my
Facebook Gluten Free Page:
https://www.facebook.com/SharingGlutenFreeRecipes



Gluten Free Cheese Crackers (Like Cheez-its)

In a Food Processor with the blade add:
2 1/3 Cup Orange Grated Medium or Sharp Cheddar Cheese
¼ Cup Unsalted Cold Butter cut into Cubes
1 ¼ Cups Gluten Free Flour (***SEE FOOT NOTE***)
1 tsp. Xanthan Gum
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Garlic Powder
¼ tsp. Paprika

Process for one minute or until the Cheese has been incorporated with the Flour.

Place some Ice Cubes in a Glass and fill with water

Add 1 TBL of Ice Water at a time through the Shout;
Pulsing after each addition.
I only needed 2 TBL. of Ice Water
Only add enough water to form a dough that is not dry or sticky. It should feel like Play Dough.

Remove from the Food Processor and knead with your hands for 20 seconds

Lightly dust your counter top with Gluten Free Flour

Roll out to 1/8" Thickness.

Try to form a rectangle with the rolled out dough. The dough will not have perfect even edges. That is ok.

I very lightly sprinkled on some Salt onto the dough and used the roller to help stick it to the dough.

I used a Pastry Wheel Cutter to cut my Crackers. I used the Fluted side of the wheel. I dipped it into flour to help cut the dough. Or you can use a knife to cut the dough into desired shape and size. Or you can use mini cookie cutters.

I wanted my Crackers to look like a Cheez-it so I took a Toothpick and cut it in half making sure there weren't any splintered ends.

Poke the cut side of the Toothpick into the center of each Cracker.

Place the Crackers on a cookie sheet lined with either Parchment Paper or a Silpat Baking Mat. I used a small spatula to help remove the dough from the counter.

Depending on how thick you cut your Crackers,, begin to check them at 15 minutes. I baked mine for 25-27 Minutes. I rotated the pan for even cooking. Bake until they are puffy and are beginning to turn brown on the edges. They should feel hard in the center when touched. Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.  You can Freeze both the dough and crackers.

(***FOOT NOTE***)

You can use the recipe below for home made Gluten Free flour mix
or buy a pre-made Gluten Free Flour Mix


Gluten Free Home Made Flour Mix for:
cookies, muffins, cakes, quick breads and biscuits
I got this recipe at the Gluten Free Expo


2 1/4 Cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour
1/4 Cup Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch
2/3 Cup Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Starch
3/4 Cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Sweet Rice Flour
1/3 Cup Cornstarch

Measure all the ingredients into a container. I used a spoon to lightly mix it together then put the cover on and shake well.
(Making sure its a tight fitting cover)

The original recipe called to add 2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
I did not do that, I like to add mine to each recipe individually.


I got the recipe from: http://xobakingco.com/2012/12/26/gluten-free-cheese-crackers-like-cheez-its/
I made some modifications to the original recipe


ENJOY!

Bob's Red Mill Flours: http://www.bobsredmill.com/


Silpat Baking Mat: Silpat: The Original Non-Stick Mat http://silpat.com/


Camera:
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS

Editor:
Corel ~ Videostudio ProX4 Professional Video Editing Software
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment